T: (01270) 536 913

Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Technology Recycling for Colleges and Schools


College and School Computer and Telephone Recycling
Reaseheath College is one of the leading specialist land-based Colleges in the UK.  Based in Cheshire the College has an enviable setting amongst 330 hectares of farms, parklands, lake, woodland and sports facilities, you can’t help feeling at home at Reaseheath.

Like any modern educational establishment, Reaseheath has leveraged the use of Information Technology to advance education and support students in learning. With over 7500 students attending the college, Reaseheath has had Investment of over £40million into specialist resources and facilities to ensure the best education and training possible. This has given Reaseheath the ability to improve upon its existing resources in terms of Information Technology.

Any School, Local Authority or Business is faced with challenges of effectively recycling a high percentage of waste produced. More commonly recycled items are obvious to any large institution. Food, Paper and Plastics are all recognised candidates for recycling but the question remains, can other items be recycled?

Systems Recycling was contacted by Reaseheath and asked to dispose of a large quantity of redundant I.T. equipment which included old phone systems and used computers, laptops and display screens such as Televisions and Monitors. 

Over 80% of the items were faulty, the remaining 20% of items were beyond use, redundant in both age and technology. Disposing of such a large number of items had posed a problem for the I.T. department at Reaseheath and had been in storage for some time, taking up space and had the potential to become a risk to both health and safety and the environment. For example, batteries had begun to degrade from lack of use, both in UPS systems and Laptops. Devices containing glass Items such as Televisions and Monitor Screens had become increasingly difficult to store safely and imaging devices such as printers had begun to leak ink and toner dust.

In addition to this, an increasing amount of time was being wasted managing the items, and valuables space was being taken up by the increased volume of electrical waste. It was commented at the time that the surplus of cables both individually and protruding from devices had become a tripping risk.

Systems Recycling made arrangements whereby collection could be made without disturbing the 7500 students, during one of the busiest times of the year for the college. 

Within 90 minutes 1 metric ton of electrical equipment was removed from the buildings and taken to our storage facility for processing.

One week later a complete inventory of all items was provided to the College for analysis. The inventory included individual counts for hundreds of broken keyboards, mice. Each individual storage device or medium was erased using military standard hardware or pulverised beyond recovery.